There is nothing that beats a well-kept lawn. It’s not only visually appealing but also increases the value of your property and provides an ideal venue for your family to relax after a hectic day. But to achieve a lusher, green-looking lawn, it takes some effort. Lawn maintenance is not a one-off job. Keeping your lawn in tip-top condition requires an all-year-round plan.
Pest control is a no-miss maintenance tip if you want to achieve a well-appointed lawn. You see, pests like locusts and grasshoppers like munching on your grass all day, leaving behind skeletonized plants. Would you want that for your lawn? Certainly not. As such, consider pest control services to rid of any pests that might compromise your lawn’s growth.
Some DIY pest control strategies you can devise include removing any standing water on your lawn. Otherwise, it becomes a breeding ground for pests like mosquitoes. Again, while mulch is gentle on your shrubs, too much of it can attract insects in your yard.
Other lawn maintenance tips include:
• Applying fertilizer at least twice a year
• Picking the right grass for your region
• Mowing your lawn to the correct size
If you need lawn care help, contact professional landscapers. This way, you will get help on how to care for grass and other lawn maintenance tips you might need. And to achieve a better lawn care experience, it doesn’t have to cost you an arm and a leg. You can get cheap yard service near you by conducting a simple online search.
Things are looking up. As you pulled back into the driveway on your return from church, you just noticed that the lawn is greening up already. You felt a little foolish mowing last Saturday, but you did it any way. It was a nice day. The yard was littered with the last of the leaves from last fall and winter, and the unevenness of the dormant grass just looked messy. And now, one week later, you are seeing the fruits of your labor. With the entire lawn cut to an even length, it is easy to see the new grass you planted last fall is already growing and the entire lawn is greening.
Pest Control and Lawn Service Is a Year Long Process
While some parts of the country have winters that are harsh enough that lawns totally go dormant, many other locations are faced with lawn care and pest control decisions that need to be addressed on a month by month basis. Following a prescribed plan for lawn care is the best way to have the greenest grass in the neighborhood:
- Rid your lawn of standing water. Standing water is a breeding ground for bugs. In addition to creating an uneven location in your yard, a place that is deep enough to allow water to gather can become an area that is invested with bugs and may allow weeds to thrive.
- Avoid mowing your lawn too short. Even with the best lawn maintenance and pest control plan, a lawn that is constantly mowed too short will not thrive. Experts recommend that you never cut more than a third of the blade off at any time so frequent mowings are often the best.
- Go easy on the mulch. While mulch is an attractive treatment for landscaping and shrubs, it can also encourage the infestation of some kinds of insects that can damage your yard or become inside insect problem. Consider using sparingly and attempt to keep it away from the foundation of your home. Some types of cedar mulch have a scent that actually repels insects instead of attracting them.
- Fertilization is important. Most experts recommend applying fertilizer at least twice a year. Once in the fall and again in the spring. Lawn fertilization companies can often provide the best recommendations specific to an area or a climate. Lawn fertilization services can help home owners create a healthy lawn, one that is dense and prevents run-off, able to absorb rainfall six times more effectively than a wheat field and four times better than a hay field.
- Create breathing space. Aeration services help break apart yard thatch and allow oxygen to more easily reach the soil. Achieved by poking holes throughout the yard, aeration services used once a year will lead to a more healthy and fuller yard.
- Grow the right grass. Pay attention to the types of grass that grow best in your region. Again, a lawn service can provide tested recommendations about what kinds of grass thrive in the climate where you live. A zoysia grass, for example, is a popular wide blade grass that in many climates does not require as much water.Whatever grass you decide to grow it is important to remember a well-designed and maintained landscape and yard can increases a home?s property value by 15% to 20%.
- Call for professional help sooner rather than later. A yard pest control problem like grubs can become a very big problem very quickly. It is important to treat problems as soon as you notice them. If you are unsure, getting the immediate advice of a professional lawn and pest service can help you stay on top of the health of your lawn.
Continued Fertilization Maintains a Healthy Looking Lawn
Experts recommend that home owners fertilize their lawn about once every six to eight weeks during the months when the most growth is taking place. It is a great feeling to drive into your driveway at the end of a long work day and notice that you have one of the best looking yards on the block. Great yards, however, do not happen on their own. The best yards and landscaping areas take knowledge, patience, work, attention to growing cycles, and consistency.